Eight faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2019 Highly Cited Resear
- Jeffrey Moore has been named the Stanley O. Ikenberry Endowed Chair, which is deemed to be among the most distinguished honors on campus.
- Affiliate Faculty member Qian Chen part of collaborative research into higher resolution viewing of crystallizationResearchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Northwestern University have made it possible to observe and simulate the self-assembly of crystalline materials at a much higher resolution than before.
- The Moore group recently published a paper in the Journal of the American Chemical Society that describes a new way of synthesizing ring polymers.
- The Women Chemists Committee (WCC) and Younger Chemists Committee of East Central Illinois Chapter (YCC) were each recognized at the American Chemical Society’s fall 2019 national meeting with ChemLuminary Awards, which are given to recognize local sections, regional meetings, divisions, and international chapters.
- The year 1980 was a turning point for LAS alum Peixin He (PhD ’85, chemistry).
- A few months ago, a new term cropped up on Twitter to describe an all-too-common phenomenon at academic institutions: a dude wall.
- Professor Josh Vura-Weis was recently selected as the winner of the 2019 Inter-American Photochemical Society (I-APS) Young Investigator Award, sponsored by the Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, which is published by Elsevier.
- The Materials Research Society has announced that Professor Catherine Murphy is one of this years' MRS Medal winnersProfessor Catherine Murphy, along with Dr. Haimei Zheng, Lawrence Berkely National Laboratory, are this years' joint MRS Medal winners.
- The Pauling Medal Award recognizes outstanding achievement in chemistry and is presented annually by the Portland, Puget Sound, and Oregon Sections of the American Chemical Society.
- The Discovery Fund, established in 2018 and supported by a generous gift from chemistry alumni Ving Lee (Ph.D., ‘75, Rinehart) and May Lee (Ph.D., ‘76, Rinehart), provides funding for innovative research in the Department of Chemistry.
- Lauren Hagler, a beginning fifth-year graduate student in Steve Zimmerman’s group, is the recipient of the first annual Women in Chemistry (WIC) Inclusive Leadership Award.
- Steven Zimmerman, graduate student Ephraim Morado, and their colleagues are attempting to create a more environmentally-friendly form of polyurethane, a frequently-used polymer that is difficult to recycle.
- The American Chemical Society (ACS) has announced their 2020 national award winners. Three award winners, Professor Catherine Murphy, Professor Jeffrey Moore and Professor Ken Suslick are among the winners. They will be honored at an awards ceremony on March 24, 2020 in Philadelphia, which coincides with the ACS Spring National Meeting.
- The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is comprised of almost 30% international students.