The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is comprised of almost 30% international students.
- Originally from Central Mexico, Professor Joaquín Rodríguez-López grew up in Monterrey, the third-largest city in Mexico, famous for its industrial centers and mountains.
- Article written by Daniel Najera. Najera is a second-year graduate student in Professor Alison Fout's research group.
- Twenty years in the making, a new leading-edge medical imaging research collaboration is becoming a reality.
- On July 2, 2019, President Donald J. Trump announced the recipients of the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE). One of this years' recipients is Prashant Jain.
- The inorganic and materials chemistry divisions of the department have rescheduled the weekly seminar time from 4:00 PM to 3:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- Prashant Jain & Sungju Yu have successfully used artificial photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide into liquefiable fuelsChemists at the University of Illinois have successfully produced fuels using water, carbon dioxide and visible light through artificial photosynthesis.
- Philip Kocheril, a student in the Zimmerman group, was awarded a Barry M. Goldwater scholarship for the 2019-20 and 2020-21 academic years in recognition for his potential to contribute to the advancement of research in the natural sciences, mathematics or engineering.
- Elizabeth Murphy received the Susan Teegarden Morrison Leadership Scholarship from the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs based on her roles as secretary and outreach chair in the American Chemical Society Student Chapter.
- A fortuitous conversation between two University of Illinois scientists has opened a new line of communication between biomedical researchers and the tissues they study. The new findings, reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, show that high-intensity focused ultrasound waves can penetrate biological tissue to activate molecules able to perform specific tasks.
- The Urbana School District recognized the Cena y Ciencias program during their recent board meeting. The outreach program, of which Dr. Joaquín Rodríguez-López is a co-leader and active participant, gives children, grades K-5, an opportunity to participate in different science activities, led completely in Spanish, while sharing a meal. Thus the name Cena y Ciencias (Spanish for "Supper and Science").
- Professor Prashant Jain will receive the Beilby Medal and Prize "in recognition of substantial work of exceptional practical significance" in materials science.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.