Cutting edge ideas presented in three minutes or less. In the time it takes for your favorite song to play, University of Illinois graduate students recently showcased their remarkable re
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.
- Name: Alayna Johnson. Year: Junior. Hometown: Minneapolis, MN. Why Illinois? I actually enrolled at Illinois because of its highly-rated physics program, but I quickly realized I was more suited for the chemistry curriculum; what I especially like is that chemistry majors take a different sequence of courses than chemistry minors and other students, so we're in smaller, more rigorous classes with equally passionate students. Chemistry at Illinois was certainly not my plan, but I really feel like it's exactly where I belong.
- Prof. Renske van der Veen is the recipient of a Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering for 2018.
- Professor Cathy Murphy and alumna Sara Skrabalak (PhD, '07, Suslick) are featured on the ACS website celebrating women in nanotechnology.
- CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Biochemists at the University of Illinois have isolated a protein supercomplex from a bacterial membrane that, like a battery, generates a voltage across the bacterial membrane.
- Professor Prashant Jain and his colleagues report they can use light to drive two-electron chemical reactions, enhancing a method for converting CO2 into hydrocarbons.
- The first-of-its-kind Molecule Maker Lab, part of the Medical Maker Lab at Illinois, will empower physician-innovators at the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, and citizen scientists from around the world, to create molecules on-demand.
- The Department of Chemistry once again ranks sixth overall in US News and World Report 2019 graduate school rankings , and top ten in the analytical, inorganic, organic, physical, and theoretical areas.
- Department head Martin Gruebele, the James R. Eiszner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, has received a 2018 TREE award from the Research Corporation for Science Advancement (RCSA).
- Sharon Hammes-Schiffer & Cathy Murphy published papers in the special issue honoring the 150th birthday of Marie Curie.
- With more top ten rankings, it's easy to see why Chemistry at UIUC is leading the nation in research and education. With Analytical Chemistry ranked third in the nation, and Inorganic, Organic, Physical and Theoretical Chemistry each ranking between 6th and 8th in their respective areas, Chemistry at UIUC continues to be recognized as one of the premiere Chemistry programs in the United States.