Yuanheng (Henry) Wang, an undergraduate student in Professor Renske van der Veen’s lab, earned the 2019 ACS Undergraduate Award in Physical Chemistry for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- Prashant Jain & Sungju Yu have successfully used artificial photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide into liquefiable fuelsChemists at the University of Illinois have successfully produced fuels using water, carbon dioxide and visible light through artificial photosynthesis.
- Three University of Illinois chemistry students have won the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- On March 14, 2019, Professor Zaida (Zan) Luthey-Schulten was invested as the Murchison-Mallory Endowed Chair in Chemistry at a ceremony on the Urbana campus.
- Cutting edge ideas presented in three minutes or less. In the time it takes for your favorite song to play, University of Illinois graduate students recently showcased their remarkable re
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.
- Name: Alayna Johnson. Year: Junior. Hometown: Minneapolis, MN. Why Illinois? I actually enrolled at Illinois because of its highly-rated physics program, but I quickly realized I was more suited for the chemistry curriculum; what I especially like is that chemistry majors take a different sequence of courses than chemistry minors and other students, so we're in smaller, more rigorous classes with equally passionate students. Chemistry at Illinois was certainly not my plan, but I really feel like it's exactly where I belong.
- Prof. Renske van der Veen is the recipient of a Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering for 2018.
- Professor Cathy Murphy and alumna Sara Skrabalak (PhD, '07, Suslick) are featured on the ACS website celebrating women in nanotechnology.
- CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — Biochemists at the University of Illinois have isolated a protein supercomplex from a bacterial membrane that, like a battery, generates a voltage across the bacterial membrane.
- Professor Prashant Jain and his colleagues report they can use light to drive two-electron chemical reactions, enhancing a method for converting CO2 into hydrocarbons.
- The first-of-its-kind Molecule Maker Lab, part of the Medical Maker Lab at Illinois, will empower physician-innovators at the Carle Illinois College of Medicine, and citizen scientists from around the world, to create molecules on-demand.
- The Department of Chemistry once again ranks sixth overall in US News and World Report 2019 graduate school rankings , and top ten in the analytical, inorganic, organic, physical, and theoretical areas.