Scientists have simulated every atom of a light-harvesting structure in a photosynthetic bacterium that generates energy for the organism.
- The Women Chemists Committee (WCC) and Younger Chemists Committee of East Central Illinois Chapter (YCC) were each recognized at the American Chemical Society’s fall 2019 national meeting with ChemLuminary Awards, which are given to recognize local sections, regional meetings, divisions, and international chapters.
- Alumnus H. N. Cheng (PhD, ’74, Gutowsky) has been elected the 2020 American Chemical Society (ACS) President-Elect.
- Dr. Daniel Dumett Torres of Professor Prashant Jain’s laboratory is the winner of the 2019 Physical Chemistry Dissertation Award, given to the best Ph.D. thesis in the area of physical chemistry each year in the Department of Chemistry.
- Professor Josh Vura-Weis was recently selected as the winner of the 2019 Inter-American Photochemical Society (I-APS) Young Investigator Award, sponsored by the Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, which is published by Elsevier.
- The American Chemical Society (ACS) has announced their 2020 national award winners. Three award winners, Professor Catherine Murphy, Professor Jeffrey Moore and Professor Ken Suslick are among the winners. They will be honored at an awards ceremony on March 24, 2020 in Philadelphia, which coincides with the ACS Spring National Meeting.
- The National Science Foundation is funding the new Center for Synthesizing Quantum Coherence (CSQC) as a Phase I Center for Chemical Innovation. Led by Duke, and featuring distinguished chemists at Northwestern University, University of California – Berkeley, and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, the Center aims to unmask the coherent quantum mechanical flow of electronic excited states and of charges, along with their coherent spin-spin interactions, in precisely tailored nanostructures and molecules.
- The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is comprised of almost 30% international students.
- On June 29 and July 13, more than 100 local middle school girls attended the 11th annual Bonding with Chemistry Day Camp for Girls, organized by the Women Chemists Committee.
- On July 2, 2019, President Donald J. Trump announced the recipients of the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE). One of this years' recipients is Prashant Jain.
- Yuanheng (Henry) Wang, an undergraduate student in Professor Renske van der Veen’s lab, earned the 2019 ACS Undergraduate Award in Physical Chemistry for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- Prashant Jain & Sungju Yu have successfully used artificial photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide into liquefiable fuelsChemists at the University of Illinois have successfully produced fuels using water, carbon dioxide and visible light through artificial photosynthesis.
- Three University of Illinois chemistry students have won the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship.