- Paul Hergenrother has won the Sosnovsky Award for Cancer Research, one of the National Awards of the American Chemical Society.
Alexander Scheeline, Professor of Chemistry Emeritus at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and President of SpectroClick Inc.
- Lydia Kisley, a Beckman-Brown Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Fellow, and colleagues including Martin Grueble and Deborah Leckband, recently used Fast Relaxation Imaging (FReI) to investigate the folding stability and dynamics of proteins within polyacrylamide hydrogels.
Kami Hull has won a 2017 Amgen Young Investigator Award.
- Martin Gruebele, Sharon Hammes-Schiffer, and Catherine Murphy Elected as Center for Advanced Study ProfessorsEvery few years, CAS elects a few campus faculty to the position of permanent CAS Professor. Jonathan Sweedler is currently a CAS Professor. He will be joined by three new CAS Professors: Sharon Hammes-Schiffer, Catherine Murphy, and Martin Gruebele.
- Sharon Hammes-Schiffer has been selected as the winner of the 2019 G.M. Kosolapoff Award by the Auburn Local Section of the American Chemical Society and Auburn University.
- The University of Illinois recently welcomed a noteworthy alumnus of the College of LAS. U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense Bob Work returned to campus for a tour of several state-of-the-art research facilities.
- Martin Burke's Research Team Demonstrated that a Small Molecule Can Transport Iron in Human Cells and Live AnimalsMartin Burke's research team has demonstrated that a small molecule can transport iron in human cells and live animals when proteins that normally do the same job are missing, a condition that often causes severe anemia in patients.
Kenneth S. Suslick has been appointed the 76th Eastman Professor at the University of Oxford for the academic year 2018-2019.
- Paul Hergenrother's team reports that they now know how to build a molecular Trojan horse that can penetrate gram-negative bacteria, solving a problem that for decades has stalled the development of effective new antibiotics against these increasingly drug-resistant microbes.
Prashant Jain has received a 2017 Campus Distinguished Promotion Award.
- Jeffrey Moore, the Murchison-Mallory Professor of Chemistry, a professor of materials science and engineering, and a long-time Beckman faculty member, has been named director of the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology.
Prashant Jain was chosen as the Kavli Foundation Emerging Lecturer for the Fall 2017 ACS meeting.
Martin Burke was announced as an inaugural faculty of the Carle Illinois College of Medicine.
Steven C. Zimmerman spoke about his drug discovery efforts for myotonic dystrophy at the David Y. Gin Symposium.