Four scientists associated with the Department of Chemistry have been honored by their election to the National Academy of Sciences.
- In the classic fairy tale, "The Emperor's New Clothes," Hans Christian Andersen uses the eyes of a child to challenge conventional wisdom and help others to see more clearly.
- Like water and ice cubes mixed in a glass, a group of organic compounds called lipids can coexist as liquid and solid in membranes.
- Steve Granick, Founder Professor of Engineering , and professor of materials science and engineering , of chemistry , of chemical and biomolecular engineering , and of physics , was awarded the Polymer Physics Prize of the American Physical Society.
- An innovative strategy of mixing lipids and nanoparticles to produce new drug and agricultural materials and delivery vehicles has been developed by researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- The Granick group's lipid, nanoparticle research was featured in "Nanoparticles create biocompatible capsules," UIUC News Bureau, 3/6/2006.