Beckman researchers across three labs will collaborate on a new project that will receive $400,000 from the National Institutes of Health.
- Professor Jonathan Sweedler, along with two other Illinois researchers, explores how exercise may aid cognition
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- Prashant Jain & Sungju Yu have successfully used artificial photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide into liquefiable fuelsChemists at the University of Illinois have successfully produced fuels using water, carbon dioxide and visible light through artificial photosynthesis.
- Professor Jefferson Chan received one of four 2019-20 Beckman Fellow awards which where announced by the Center for Advanced Study.
- Lucas Akin was one of seven graduate students who were chosen to receive the 2019 Beckman Institute Graduate Fellowships. The program offers University of Illinois graduate students at the M.A., M.S., or Ph.D. level the opportunity to pursue interdisciplinary research at the institute.
- Douglas Chan and Rana Youssef, were among 12 students who were chosen to receive Beckman Institute student awards. The awards, which are presented to undergraduate and graduate students, will be presented during a reception in May.
- We are excited to announce that Dr. Mei Shen will join our analytical chemistry faculty and Dr. Angad Mehta will join our chemical biology faculty this summer.
- Zachary Gossage receives a 2019 American Chemical Society Division of Analytical Chemistry Graduate FellowshipThis 2019 American Chemical Society (ACS) Division of Analytical Chemistry (DAC) Graduate Fellowship, which was sponsored by the Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh, was given to Zachary Gossage, a 4th year graduate student in the Rodríguez-López group.
- Prashant Jain was one of 19 selected for this year's Defense Science Study Group (DSSG). DSSG is a program focused on education and study that introduces outstanding science and engineering professors to security challenges the United States faces and encourages them to apply their talents to these issues. This year, there were 178 nominations from 97 universities.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- Mei Shen will receive the Campus Excellence in Guiding Undergraduate Research Award of 2019. The Celebration of Teaching Excellence event will include an awards ceremony and reception on April 11th.
- Center for Advanced Study Fellows are untenured University of Illinois faculty members whose proposals are selected in an annual competition.
- Marina Philip is a PhD candidate studying analytical chemistry in the Jonathan Sweedler group. With a background in journalism, Marina’s extracurricular efforts focus on outreach, diversity, and fostering positive communication within the department and throughout the community. Here she discusses student-driven initiatives to address mental health concerns within the department.
- I have to pass on some sad news to the department: I just learned that our long-time colleague Andrzej Wieckowski passed away yesterday.
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.