We regret to pass along the sad news that alumnus Dr. William Gumprecht (BS, ’53) passed away on May 3, 2019 in Wilmington, Delaware.
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans, a graduate school program for immigrants and children of immigrants, recently announced their 2019 Fellows. Among this year’s recipients is Daniel Najera a doctoral student in the Fout group.
- Joe Nugent, whose research focusing on dehydrogenation chemistry using cobalt pincer complexes, was selected to receive a TechnipFMC Fellowship for 2019-20.
- Three University of Illinois chemistry students have won the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship.
- Professor Catherine J. Murphy, Larry Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, and Chancellor Robert Jones have been elected fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- Alison Fout explores the power to save images. She is researching new catalysts, as an associate professor in chemistry, that could one day solve a growing list of environmental, biological, and energy issues.
- During the annual “Celebrating Diversity, Recognizing Excellence” reception, which was hosted by the Graduate College on Monday, March 4, Lauren Hagler and Tabitha Miller were recognized for public engagement and research excellence.
- William Nebergall (MS, '39) is one of 2019 National Inventors Hall of Fame inductees. He achieved this award with his development of stannous fluoride toothpaste (US Patent No. 2,876,166).
- Catherine J. Murphy is the recipient of the 2019 Remsen Award, presented by the American Chemical Society Maryland Section.
- Chemistry professor Liviu Mirica, who came to Illinois this semester from Washington University, is one of seven researchers who were brought to the university as part of the President’s Distinguished Faculty Recruitment Program. He is an expert in the design of chemical agents that contain metal ions, and has studied the role of transition metal ions in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, which may lead to better imaging and diagnoses of the mind-robbing disease.
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.
- The gold nanocrystals created by Catherine Murphy carry huge potential The gold nanoparticles created by Catherine Murphy, the Larry R.
- Theodore “Ted” Brown, the founding director of the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois, celebrated his 90th birthday with family, friends and fo