The year 1980 was a turning point for LAS alum Peixin He (PhD ’85, chemistry).
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.
- Professor Josh Vura-Weis was recently selected as the winner of the 2019 Inter-American Photochemical Society (I-APS) Young Investigator Award, sponsored by the Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, which is published by Elsevier.
- The Materials Research Society has announced that Professor Catherine Murphy is one of this years' MRS Medal winnersProfessor Catherine Murphy, along with Dr. Haimei Zheng, Lawrence Berkely National Laboratory, are this years' joint MRS Medal winners.
- The Pauling Medal Award recognizes outstanding achievement in chemistry and is presented annually by the Portland, Puget Sound, and Oregon Sections of the American Chemical Society.
- The Discovery Fund, established in 2018 and supported by a generous gift from chemistry alumni Ving Lee (Ph.D., ‘75, Rinehart) and May Lee (Ph.D., ‘76, Rinehart), provides funding for innovative research in the Department of Chemistry.
- Lauren Hagler, a beginning fifth-year graduate student in Steve Zimmerman’s group, is the recipient of the first annual Women in Chemistry (WIC) Inclusive Leadership Award.
- The American Chemical Society (ACS) has announced their 2020 national award winners. Three award winners, Professor Catherine Murphy, Professor Jeffrey Moore and Professor Ken Suslick are among the winners. They will be honored at an awards ceremony on March 24, 2020 in Philadelphia, which coincides with the ACS Spring National Meeting.
- The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is comprised of almost 30% international students.
- On June 29 and July 13, more than 100 local middle school girls attended the 11th annual Bonding with Chemistry Day Camp for Girls, organized by the Women Chemists Committee.
- The inorganic and materials chemistry divisions of the department have rescheduled the weekly seminar time from 4:00 PM to 3:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- We regret to pass along the sad news that alumnus Dr. William Gumprecht (BS, ’53) passed away on May 3, 2019 in Wilmington, Delaware.
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- The Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowships for New Americans, a graduate school program for immigrants and children of immigrants, recently announced their 2019 Fellows. Among this year’s recipients is Daniel Najera a doctoral student in the Fout group.
- Joe Nugent, whose research focusing on dehydrogenation chemistry using cobalt pincer complexes, was selected to receive a TechnipFMC Fellowship for 2019-20.