Virtual Recruitment at Illinois Chemistry
Saturday, October 31, 2020, 10 AM – 2 PM
REGISTER HERE: https://go.illinois.edu/VirtualRecruitment2020
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign is hosting a virtual recruitment event on Saturday, October 31, 2020, targeted towards Juniors, Seniors, postbaccalaureate, and Masters students of color* underrepresented in the chemical sciences. Specifically, we would like to extend an invitation to those interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in Chemistry.
We request that you complete a very short registration for the virtual recruitment event by October 25, 2020. Register here: https://go.illinois.edu/VirtualRecruitment2020
Participants will learn about the research conducted in the six chemistry areas at Illinois Chemistry; organic, inorganic, physical chemistry, chemical biology, materials, and analytical. They will also be able to network with current graduate students, including meeting with our chemistry faculty.
The participants will learn about:
- the fellowships available for underrepresented minorities in the chemical sciences;
- what constitutes a robust application to Illinois Chemistry;
- programs that are available to support students of color* during their time at the University of Illinois.
Applying to the University of Illinois is exciting:
- as both subject and general GREs are not required for admission into the program;
- because there are various fellowships available for underrepresented students in chemistry.
* We define students of color to include students who may identify as Black, African-American, Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, Pacific Islander, Latinx, Chicanx, Native American, and multiracial.
10:00 AM – 10:20 AM Welcome Remarks
Prof. Cathy Murphy, Chemistry Department Head
Dr. Lloyd Munjanja, Associate Director of Graduate Diversity and Program Climate
10: 30 – 11: 30 AM Overview Talks and Discussions by area of Chemistry
Participants will learn about the research conducted in the six chemistry areas at Illinois Chemistry; organic, inorganic, physical chemistry, chemical biology, materials, and analytical. They will also get a chance to know program requirements in each area with an opportunity to ask questions.
11: 45 AM – 12: 45 PM All You Need to Know About Applying to Illinois Chemistry
A panel comprised of faculty from the admission committee will answer students' questions about applying to the program. Participants will learn about the fellowships available for underrepresented minorities in the chemical sciences, what constitutes a robust application to Illinois Chemistry, application fee waivers, GREs, etc.;
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM Life at UIUC and Chambana
A panel comprised of graduate students of color from all the chemistry areas will share their life perspectives at UIUC and Chambana. They will share about the student organizations and resources available on campus to support students of color's career and professional development during their time at the University of Illinois. Also, participants will learn about the exciting happenings in Urbana-Champaign