The Harold R. Snyder Fund in Organic Chemistry for Current Use supports a research program for students with the potential for and interest in the study of organic chemistry at the graduate level. These students originate either from the University of Illinois or from outside four-year institutions.
Harold R. Snyder began his relationship with the University of Illinois as an undergraduate student, receiving his B.S. in chemistry in 1931, after having done senior research with Professor R. C. Fuson. He completed his Ph.D. at Cornell University in 1935, where he carried out his thesis research with Professor John R. Johnson, who had previously been on the faculty at Illinois. He spent only a year in industry before seeking an academic position. In 1937 Roger Adams brought him to Illinois where he joined the teaching staff. Together with Roger Adams, Carl "Speed" Marvel, and R. C. Fuson, they became known as the "Big Four" at Illinois.