Name: Alayna Johnson. Year: Junior. Hometown: Minneapolis, MN. Why Illinois? I actually enrolled at Illinois because of its highly-rated physics program, but I quickly realized I was more suited for the chemistry curriculum; what I especially like is that chemistry majors take a different sequence of courses than chemistry minors and other students, so we're in smaller, more rigorous classes with equally passionate students. Chemistry at Illinois was certainly not my plan, but I really feel like it's exactly where I belong.
Getting to Know
- In this special edition of our Getting to Know series, Dr. Lloyd Munjanja shares about his educational experiences as a minority and discusses the challenges and opportunities of his new role as the Assistant Director of Graduate Diversity and Program Climate.
- Name: Erin Nissen. Year: 3rd Year. Hometown: Colorado Springs. Why Illinois? I loved the people and research.
- Name: Kyle Shelton. Year: Class of 2016. Hometown: Des Moines, Iowa. Why Illinois? I completed a summer rotation in the chemistry department as an undergrad, and knew it was a really great school where I would be supported as a student throughout my Ph.D.
- Name: Becky Haight. Year: Junior (Class of 2019). Hometown: Wadsworth, IL. Why Illinois? One of the top schools for undergraduate chemistry in the country is only a couple hours from home.
- Name: Elizabeth Kathleen Neumann. Year: Third Year. Hometown: Moorpark, California. Why Illinois? The environment seemed very supportive and interdisciplinary.
- Name: Ashley Lenhart. Year: Senior. Hometown: Watseka, IL. Why Illinois? I had ‘chemistry’ with the campus and opportunities immediately.
- Name: Elliot Brazil. Year: Graduated with a BS in 2015. Hometown: Olney, IL is my hometown in this country, but I grew up largely in Asia as a child. Why Illinois? It’s a beautiful campus with great academics, and I followed my older brother there.
- Name: Timothy P. Moneypenny. Year: 3rd Year. Hometown: Akron, Ohio. Why Illinois? Awesome chemistry department and awesome people.
- Name: William H. (Bill) Pittman. Year/Degree: 1960 PhD. Hometown: Columbia, MO (childhood); Schenectady, NY (now). Why Illinois? Recommendation from my senior research adviser at the Univ. of MO, Dr. Niels C. Nielsen.