Transfer, Advanced Placement, and Proficiency Credit

Transfer Credit For College Credit in General Chemistry 

If you take a general chemistry course in a class containing college students, then the credit may be transferable.

Your classes will be evaluated after you submit your application and application fee. Students attending 2-year and some 4-year institutions in Illinois may work with an adviser at their current institution. To review courses for transferability, refer to Transferology.

Please contact the SCS Academic Advising Office for more information.


AP Credit in General Chemistry For Courses Taken In High School

Students who earn a 3 on the AP exam will receive 3 hours of chem 102 credit. Students who earn a 4 or 5 on the AP exam will earn 3 hours of chem 102 credit and 3 hours of chem 104 credit. No AP credit hours will be earned for lab hours. In some instances, certain colleges at the University of Illinois will waive the lab requirement if AP credit is earned. Contact your college adviser to see if this is the case.

Proficiency Credit From General Chemistry Exams

Another option to earn credit in general chemistry lecture courses is with the proficiency exam. The exams are offered during the Fall and Spring semesters.  Please see the Chemistry Proficiency Exam page for specific information.

The proficiency exam may be taken by registered students who do not have prior equivalent credit.  Credit is available for Chem 102 (3 hours) and Chem 104 (3 hours).  There is no proficiency credit for lab courses.  However, some colleges may waive the lab course requirement with proficiency credit. Contact your college adviser for specifics.