16 Chemistry (400, 500 level)
8 Education (400 or 500 level)
8 Electives in either science or education (400 or 500 level)
At least 12 of the 32 hours for the MSTC must be 500-level. At least 8 hours of these 12 hours must be 500-level Chemistry courses.
Chemistry 495: Teaching Chemistry at the Secondary Level is recommended for everyone completing the MSTC degree.
The specific courses are selected in consultation with the graduate advisor for the program.
In addition, MSTC students must show proficiency in teaching as evaluated by:
- Instructor and Course Evaluation (ICES) forms completed by the undergraduate students.
- Teaching evaluations made by the specific course directors for whom the MSTC student works.
- Teaching evaluations made by MSTC Program director.
Check this page for the latest course information
We ask applicants for admission to the MSTC Program to submit the following information to the Chemistry Graduate Admissions Office:
- A completed application form including an applicant statement
- Three letters of reference
- Official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work
- Official Graduate Records Examination General test scores
The application deadline is December 1st for the fall semester. Applications are reviewed by the Admissions Committee. Basic requirements for admission to the graduate program in Chemistry are an undergraduate degree with at least 25 semester hours in chemistry and a grade point average of 3.0 (A = 4.0). These hours must include courses in physical chemistry and analytical chemistry. Students admitted to the MSTC Program will be required to take proficiency exams upon arrival to the University of Illinois. Any deficiencies in chemistry background must be corrected in addition to the hours required for the degree.
Your academic record and recommendations must be a strong indicator of your fitness to pursue advanced study in chemistry.
Chemistry Graduate Admissions
University of Illinois
109 Noyes Lab, Box 57-1
600 S. Mathews Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
210 Chemistry Annex
600 S. Mathews
1310 S. 6th St., Champaign, Illinois 61820