Employment Opportunities in Chemistry
No open positions at this time.
Admissions and Records Coordinator
The Admissions and Records (A/R) Coordinator will direct and coordinate efforts pertaining to Chemistry Graduate Admissions, including serving as official departmental representative for all admissions matters. The A/R Coordinator will evaluate applicant credentials for admission to the Chemistry graduate program and advise the Chair of the Graduate Admissions Committee regarding policies and procedures.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive and evaluate approximately 600 applications per admission cycle. Provide information about the admissions requirements and process to prospective students. Explain and justify policies to applicants. Conduct initial review of applications, calculate and convert GPAs, and determine if applicants meet departmental and university application requirements. Annotate applicant files and provide vital data to Admissions Committee members, who are responsible for making the final determination regarding offers to prospective students. Prepare offer letters and other official admissions related correspondence, to be distributed to prospective students, faculty, and staff. Coordinate with department administrative personnel to verify appropriate levels of financial support. Notify applicants of decisions and offers from the Department of Chemistry. Process admission decisions of new students, transfers, deferrals, program changes, application rejections and offer declinations. Prepare information and nominations for training grants and fellowships/financial aid. Assist International Students in obtaining student Visas. Develop and conduct surveys.
- Serve as the staff liaison to the Graduate Admissions Committee. Advise the Committee Chair of policies, guidelines, deadlines, financial information regarding to admissions. Track and report the number of offers made, acceptances and declinations for consideration by Admissions Committee Chair and Department Head. Schedule and attend Chemistry Graduate Admissions Committee meetings. Prepare materials for the Chemistry Graduate Admissions Committee meeting such as: fiscal and programmatic reports, statistics, evaluations of recruiting techniques, and various ad hoc requests. Propose more efficient recruiting and admissions procedures. Implement decisions made by the Graduate Admissions Committee.
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct the daily operations for Chemistry Graduate Admissions. Create, revise, and implement policies and procedures to increase efficiencies. Contribute to design changes of campus information systems used to submit and process applications. Develop instruction manuals. Update the Graduate Admissions Website. Maintain digital and physical archival records of Chemistry Graduate Admissions.
- Compile data and prepare reports for various university entities, including department head and staff, the Graduate College, Admissions Committee members, peer institution groups, external grant proposals, etc.
- Oversee the admissions annual budget. Coordinate with department administrative personnel to establish guidelines for recruiting expenditures, including spending limits for recruiting meals and travel reimbursements. Authorize the purchase of promotional items and supplies.
- Attend various university and departmental strategy meetings and training conferences. Attend recruiting and admissions seminars presented by agencies within and external to the university.
- Additional duties as assigned and appropriate for an Admissions and Records Officer.
For requirements and to apply, please go to: Admissions and Records Coordinator.