C² aims to foster excellence in chemical sciences at Illinois. Undergraduate Chemistry and Chemical Engineering majors from underrepresented groups (African American, LatinX, and Native American) are encouraged to apply. By partnering with graduate student mentors and engaging in monthly networking and professional development events, C2 brings together faculty and students from the School of Chemical Sciences to build a community of scholars in which diversity and excellence thrive.
Monthly professional development workshops and networking events are combined with one-on-one peer mentorship, and student affiliates are also eligible to apply for Summer Research Scholarships sponsored by the 3M Corporation and competitive Travel Awards to present their research at National conferences such as NOBCChE, SACNAS, and ABRCMS.
Monthly C2 Events
The format of events as they are scheduled each month will consist of two segments: Networking and Food at 5:30 - 6:15 p.m., allowing participants to talk with their mentors, make new friends, meet professors, and eat free food, followed by Professional Development at 6:15 - 7:30 p.m. Topics may include workshop activities, panel speakers, and award presentations.
Professional Development Activities for Spring 2022
February 21st – 5:30pm, Roger Adams Lab (RAL) 117 – Professional Development Workshop: Professional Communication, Time Management, and defining ‘Good’ Mentor/Mentee Relationships.
March 29th – 5:30pm, Chemistry Library – Professional Development Workshop: Mentee/Mentee Networking Event.
April 28th – 5:30pm, RAL 116/117 – Professional Development Workshop: Awards Banquet, Mentor of the Year Keynote Presentation
March 11 – Application Deadlines
- Mentee Summer Research Scholarship Application Deadline
- What it is: $5,000 stipend plus $2,000 housing supplement to support your research in a lab at UIUC during the Summer 2022 semester.
- How to apply: Mentee Summer Research Scholarship Application https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/229820035
- Describe your vision of summer research.
- How do you hope that participation in research will impact your career, life, and/or academic journey?
- Are you already in a lab? If not, in which three labs will you try to join?
- Mentor Travel Award Application Deadline
- What it is: $2,000 to attend a scientific conference of your choosing. Costs can cover transportation, lodging, and conference registration.
- How to apply: Mentor Travel Award Application https://forms.illinois.edu/sec/2367777
- What year are you in grad school? Are you past prelim?
- Provide an abstract for the poster or talk you will present (under 500 words)
- What conference will you attend?
- Provide a brief statement on the anticipated impact of attending this conference.