The dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has announced that Professor Cathy Murphy has accepted the offer to serve as the next head of the Department of Chemistry.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Physics Professor Paul Selvin has been awarded the 2020 Gregorio Weber Award for Excellence in Fluorescence Theory and Applications of the Biological Fluorescence Subgroup of the Biophysical Society.
- The university and Department of Chemistry are closely monitoring developments related to COVID-19. Click on the heading above to find a link to the campus website with the latest updates, information and other resources in the campus community.
- Professor M. Christina White does not fear a challenge, like delving into a difficult area of synthetic organic chemistry with ideas that test conventional wisdom.
- The American Chemical Society’s division of Analytical Chemistry has chosen Professor Joaquín Rodríguez-López as the recipient of the 2020 Arthur F. Findeis Award for Achievements by a Young Analytical Scientist.
- The Vice President of Research, Development and Engineering at Nalco Water, an Ecolab Company, recently visited the Department of Chemistry for the Alumni in Industry lecture and discussed how his company helps its customers conserve vital resources, like water, and explained the critical role chemistry plays in finding solutions.
- The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign no longer requires Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for admission, a decision finalized in the summer of 2019. The current cycle of applicants is the first to have the option of foregoing GRE score submission.
- Nobel Laureate E.J. Corey, who served on the U of I chemistry faculty from 1951 to 1959, was recently featured in a special News-Gazette series, “University of Illinois: 150 Years and Beyond.”
- Iris Stovall, double Illinois alumna and longtime Department of Chemistry academic staff member, passed away on September 19, 2019.
- The teaching labs in Chemistry Annex and Noyes Lab both received the Environmental Impact Achievement Award from the University of Illinois.
- Twenty years in the making, a new leading-edge medical imaging research collaboration is becoming a reality.
- The inorganic and materials chemistry divisions of the department have rescheduled the weekly seminar time from 4:00 PM to 3:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The 2019 SCS Teaching Awards recipients are listed below. They are recognized for their excellence in the 2018-19 academic year. There are a large number of highly dedicated instructors in SCS, so the selection process is not an easy one.
- Dr. Lloyd Munjanja received the Commitment to Students Award at the Ebony Excellence Awards Ceremony on April 29, 2019.