Nobel Laureate E.J. Corey, who served on the U of I chemistry faculty from 1951 to 1959, was recently featured in a special News-Gazette series, “University of Illinois: 150 Years and Beyond.”
- Iris Stovall, double Illinois alumna and longtime Department of Chemistry academic staff member, passed away on September 19, 2019.
- The teaching labs in Chemistry Annex and Noyes Lab both received the Environmental Impact Achievement Award from the University of Illinois.
- Twenty years in the making, a new leading-edge medical imaging research collaboration is becoming a reality.
- The inorganic and materials chemistry divisions of the department have rescheduled the weekly seminar time from 4:00 PM to 3:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The 2019 SCS Teaching Awards recipients are listed below. They are recognized for their excellence in the 2018-19 academic year. There are a large number of highly dedicated instructors in SCS, so the selection process is not an easy one.
- Dr. Lloyd Munjanja received the Commitment to Students Award at the Ebony Excellence Awards Ceremony on April 29, 2019.
- We are excited to announce that Dr. Mei Shen will join our analytical chemistry faculty and Dr. Angad Mehta will join our chemical biology faculty this summer.
- Todd Spinner, academic adviser for the School of Chemical Sciences, is a 2018-19 Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS) Award for Excellence in Academic Advising recipient.
- Three University of Illinois chemistry students have won the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship.
- Professor Catherine J. Murphy, Larry Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, and Chancellor Robert Jones have been elected fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Professor Prashant Jain will receive the Beilby Medal and Prize "in recognition of substantial work of exceptional practical significance" in materials science.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- The Beckman Institute named five new Postdoctoral Fellows.
- During the annual “Celebrating Diversity, Recognizing Excellence” reception, which was hosted by the Graduate College on Monday, March 4, Lauren Hagler and Tabitha Miller were recognized for public engagement and research excellence.