Elizabeth Murphy, undergraduate in the Braun Research Group, is one of three winners in the research image contest at the Beckman Institute.
- Lucas Hernandez, a fifth-year graduate student in the David Sarlah group, received the 2019 Alfred R. Bader Award for Student Innovation.
- Lauren Hagler, a beginning fifth-year graduate student in Steve Zimmerman’s group, is the recipient of the first annual Women in Chemistry (WIC) Inclusive Leadership Award.
- In February, the Department of Chemistry celebrated the dedication of an American Chemical Society (ACS) National Historic Chemical Landmark in honor of Illinois alumnus St. Elmo Brady, who, in 1916, became the first African American to receive a Ph.D. in chemistry in the United States. Central to the celebration were representatives from Tougaloo College, Howard University, Fisk University, and Tuskegee University—four Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) whose chemistry programs Brady founded after he left Illinois.
- Yaroslav Boyko, a third-year graduate student in the David Sarlah lab, has received a Bristol-Myers Squibb Graduate Fellowship in Synthetic Organic Chemistry.
- On August 17, 2019, the LGBTQ+ chemists held their 3rd annual Welcome BBQ for the Out community in the Department of Chemistry. The main goal of the event is to foster community building and promote visibility of the LGBTQ+ students, postdocs, faculty, and staff in the chemistry department. Furthermore, it helps new students establish connections with people who can be their mentors and role models as they navigate graduate school.
- The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign is comprised of almost 30% international students.
- The teaching labs in Chemistry Annex and Noyes Lab both received the Environmental Impact Achievement Award from the University of Illinois.
- On June 29 and July 13, more than 100 local middle school girls attended the 11th annual Bonding with Chemistry Day Camp for Girls, organized by the Women Chemists Committee.
- The inorganic and materials chemistry divisions of the department have rescheduled the weekly seminar time from 4:00 PM to 3:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Yuanheng (Henry) Wang, an undergraduate student in Professor Renske van der Veen’s lab, earned the 2019 ACS Undergraduate Award in Physical Chemistry for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- The 2019 SCS Teaching Awards recipients are listed below. They are recognized for their excellence in the 2018-19 academic year. There are a large number of highly dedicated instructors in SCS, so the selection process is not an easy one.
- During the week of May 13-17, the Department of Chemistry Joint Safety Team (JST) and Department of Chemistry Graduate Student Advisory Committee (DCGSAC) co-hosted the 3rd Annual Safety Week.
- Rachel Circelli and Mark Van Den Avont have created a startup called HexNest that is challenging standards in sports safetyHexNest is a startup company brought to you by two Illinois undergraduate students. Rachel Circelli (chemistry and political science) and Mark Van Den Avont (mechanical engineering) are working to create a safer yet affordable sports mat.
- Prashant Jain & Sungju Yu have successfully used artificial photosynthesis to transform carbon dioxide into liquefiable fuelsChemists at the University of Illinois have successfully produced fuels using water, carbon dioxide and visible light through artificial photosynthesis.