Name: Erin Nissen. Year: 3rd Year. Hometown: Colorado Springs. Why Illinois? I loved the people and research.
- Name: Kyle Shelton. Year: Class of 2016. Hometown: Des Moines, Iowa. Why Illinois? I completed a summer rotation in the chemistry department as an undergrad, and knew it was a really great school where I would be supported as a student throughout my Ph.D.
- Name: Becky Haight. Year: Junior (Class of 2019). Hometown: Wadsworth, IL. Why Illinois? One of the top schools for undergraduate chemistry in the country is only a couple hours from home.
- Thirty-two University of Illinois students have won National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowships including 11 students from the Department of Chemistry.
- Name: Elizabeth Kathleen Neumann. Year: Third Year. Hometown: Moorpark, California. Why Illinois? The environment seemed very supportive and interdisciplinary.
- Name: Ashley Lenhart. Year: Senior. Hometown: Watseka, IL. Why Illinois? I had ‘chemistry’ with the campus and opportunities immediately.
- Illinois Chemistry sophomore Alayna Johnson has been named a Goldwater Scholar for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Kali Serrano, a fourth year PhD student, is the Joint Safety Team (JST) representative for Professor Paul Braun’s research group and currently serves as the only graduate student on the ACS National Committee on Chemical Safety—a prestigious role that comes with partial support to attend all ACS national meetings. Here she discusses her recent work related to lab safety and student safety programs.
- Name: Timothy P. Moneypenny. Year: 3rd Year. Hometown: Akron, Ohio. Why Illinois? Awesome chemistry department and awesome people.
- Erin Nissen, a doctoral candidate in Dana Dlott’s research group at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, has been awarded a Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship (DOE NNSA SSGF) to support her research into chemistry.
- Graduate student Emma Southgate (Sarlah group) has been chosen as a recipient of one of the 2017-2018 Bristol-Myers Squibb Fellowships in Synthetic Organic Chemistry.
- Thomas Osberger (White group) and Andy Thomas (Denmark group) are finalists for the 2017 Reaxys PhD Prize.
- Undergraduate Student Won the 2017 Undergraduate Student Award from the Eastern Analytical SymposiumUndergraduate student Mihail Krumov won the 2017 Undergraduate Student Award from the Eastern Analytical Symposium.
- Graduate student Mark Burgess and postdoc Kenneth Hernandez-Burgos win the “Norman Hackerman Young Author Award” from the Electrochemical Society for the best paper from a young author in the Journal of the Electrochemical Society during 2016.
- Twelve students in the Lincoln Scholars Initiative graduated from the University of Illinois this academic year, making them the second class of LAS students who have earned a degree with support from the successful scholarship program.