Sriyankari Chitti was awarded a Barry M. Goldwater scholarship for her potential to contribute to the advancement of research in the natural sciences, mathematics or engineering.
- Growing up in North Miami, Safiyah Muhammad was always at the beach and naturally drawn to marine life, which led her to consider marine biology as an undergraduate at Nova Southeastern University.
- A world traveler, photographer and musician, Nick Pino’s dream is to live in the big city, but it was the human connections that drew him to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to earn his PhD in chemistry, and it is those same personal connections that he says make this department unique.
- A doctoral student in the Department of Chemistry, Dinumol Devasia, has been awarded a TechnipFMC Fellowship for 2020-21 for her research focusing on the spectroscopic investigation of carbon dioxide reduction reaction.
- A breakthrough by an Illinois Chemistry team of researchers could enable medicinal chemists to more easily harness “magic methylation,” a transformation that can significantly boost the potency of some drugs.
- Saadia Chaudhry, one of five recently announced 2020 postdoctoral fellows at The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, will be collaborating with Joaquín Rodríguez-Lopéz, an associate professor of chemistry and the Ray and Beverly Mentzer Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
- The Schroeder and Moore groups' study shows how monomer sequence affects conductance in ‘molecular wires’A new study from the Schroeder and Moore groups at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign provides an unprecedented look at how monomer sequence affects charge transport in precisely defined chain molecules.
- The university and Department of Chemistry are closely monitoring developments related to COVID-19. Click on the heading above to find a link to the campus website with the latest updates, information and other resources in the campus community.
- The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign no longer requires Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for admission, a decision finalized in the summer of 2019. The current cycle of applicants is the first to have the option of foregoing GRE score submission.
- Megan Kats, chemistry undergraduate, was awarded Cabot Microelectronic's Global Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Excellence Award.
- The Miniature Brain Machinery (MBM) program announces new trainees beginning in January 2020. Each new trainee represents an underrepresented demographic in our field.
- The Moore group recently published a paper in the Journal of the American Chemical Society that describes a new way of synthesizing ring polymers.
- The Women Chemists Committee (WCC) and Younger Chemists Committee of East Central Illinois Chapter (YCC) were each recognized at the American Chemical Society’s fall 2019 national meeting with ChemLuminary Awards, which are given to recognize local sections, regional meetings, divisions, and international chapters.
- Elizabeth Murphy, an undergraduate in the Paul Braun group, is one of three winners in the Beckman Institute’s research image contest. The goal of the contest was to submit images that showed the intersection between art and science.
- Lucas Hernandez, a fifth-year graduate student in the David Sarlah group, received the 2019 Alfred R. Bader Award for Student Innovation.