Sriyankari Chitti was awarded a Barry M. Goldwater scholarship for her potential to contribute to the advancement of research in the natural sciences, mathematics or engineering.
Awards and Honors
- The dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has announced that Professor Cathy Murphy has accepted the offer to serve as the next head of the Department of Chemistry.
- A doctoral student in the Department of Chemistry, Dinumol Devasia, has been awarded a TechnipFMC Fellowship for 2020-21 for her research focusing on the spectroscopic investigation of carbon dioxide reduction reaction.
- Two Illinois Chemistry professors have received awards from The Protein Society for their individual researchProfessor Martin Gruebele and Research Professor Stephen G. Sligar are winners of the 2020 Protein Society Awards.
- Saadia Chaudhry, one of five recently announced 2020 postdoctoral fellows at The Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, will be collaborating with Joaquín Rodríguez-Lopéz, an associate professor of chemistry and the Ray and Beverly Mentzer Professor in the Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering.
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Physics Professor Paul Selvin has been awarded the 2020 Gregorio Weber Award for Excellence in Fluorescence Theory and Applications of the Biological Fluorescence Subgroup of the Biophysical Society.
- Professor M. Christina White does not fear a challenge, like delving into a difficult area of synthetic organic chemistry with ideas that test conventional wisdom.
- Paul J. Hergenrother, the Kenneth L. Rinehart Endowed Chair in Natural Products Chemistry and Professor of Chemistry, has been appointed the deputy director of the Cancer Center at Illinois.
- The American Chemical Society’s division of Analytical Chemistry has chosen Professor Joaquín Rodríguez-López as the recipient of the 2020 Arthur F. Findeis Award for Achievements by a Young Analytical Scientist.
- Megan Kats, chemistry undergraduate, was awarded Cabot Microelectronic's Global Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Excellence Award.
- Atul K. Verma (PhD, ’96, Rauchfuss) was recognized at the Fall 2019 ACS National Meeting in San Diego with the ACS Heroes of Chemistry Award.
- Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, was recently named the 2020 recipient of the Paracelsus Prize by the Swiss Chemical Society.
- Eight faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2019 Highly Cited Researchers list, a global listing of scientists who produced the past decade’s most influential papers, compiled by the Web of Science group, a Clarivate Analytics company.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science has announced Professor Paul Hergenrother as a 2019 FellowProfessor Paul J. Hergenrother, Kenneth L. Rinehart Jr. Endowed Chair in Natural Products Chemistry, is one of 443 newly elected Fellows into the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Jeffrey Moore has been named the Stanley O. Ikenberry Endowed Chair, which is deemed to be among the most distinguished honors on campus.