Jeff Moore and Joaquin Rodriguez are part of a team that recently were recipients of the Secrtary of Energy's Achievement Award.
Awards and Honors
- Perry Lim, research intern, Serionix (undergraduate, chemistry) was a finalist for "Best Entrepreneurial Leadership in a Startup" award. While Tonisha Thacker, communication/marketing Intern, AARP (undergraduate, chemistry and sociology) won the "Most Advanced Marketing-Business Development" award.
- The J. C. Jamieson award is given for outstanding achievement in the field of high pressure research. This year's award is unusual in that there was a tie and it is being awarded jointly to Will Bassett and Dominique Laniel.
- Professor Jonathan Sweedler, James R. Eiszner Family Endowed Chair in Chemistry, was awarded the Torben Bergman Medal in Lund, Sweden in June, 2018. He received this award for his research in analytical chemistry and neuroscience.
- The 2018 School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) Teaching Awards recipients have been announced. This year’s recipients represent just a few of the large number of highly dedicated instructors in SCS.
- Douglas A. Mitchell was one of eleven faculty members who was honored with the Provost's Campus Distinguished Promotion Award for 2018.
- Prof. White has made pioneering contributions to the development of catalysts for selective allylic and aliphatic C—H oxidations that proceed without the requirement for substrate directing groups. Such reactions were previously considered not possible outside enzymatic catalysis.
- A recent award ceremony gave Illinois chemistry professor John Katzenellenbogen a chance to reflect on his long and successful career.
- Zan Luthey-Schulten, Taras Pogorelov, Chad Rienstra, and Martin Burke represent two of 34 teams who have received allocations of computation time on the Blue Waters supercomputer.
- Professor James Spudich (BS, '63), Stanford University School of Medicine, was chosen to receive the University of Illinois Alumni Achievement Award for 2018.
- Thirty-two University of Illinois students have won National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowships including 11 students from the Department of Chemistry.
- Professor Jeffrey Moore is the Royal Society of Chemistry Stephanie L. Kwolek Award winner for 2018.
- Scott E. Denmark, a professor of chemistry at the University of Illinois, has been elected to the National Academy of Sciences, one of the highest professional honors a scientist can receive.
- Illinois Chemistry sophomore Alayna Johnson has been named a Goldwater Scholar for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Prof. Greg Girolami, the William H. and Janet G. Lycan Professor of Chemistry, has received a Campus Award for Excellence in Graduate and Professional Teaching.