Cutting edge ideas presented in three minutes or less. In the time it takes for your favorite song to play, University of Illinois graduate students recently showcased their remarkable re
Awards and Honors
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.
- Chemistry alumnus traces his success to influential professor at Illinois. Martin Pomper, a member of the National Academy of Medicine, said his chemistry professors at Illinois had a deep influence upon him.
- An interdisciplinary team of researchers from the Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
- Peter Senter (PhD, ’81) part of Seattle Genetics team recognized with an ACS Heroes of Chemistry AwardPeter D.
- As a senior studying sociology and chemistry, Tonisha Thacker is used to people questioning her choice of majors, which on paper can seem like complete
- Professor Chad Rienstra, who came to Illinois in 2002, was recently named the John Witt Professor of Chemistry in a ceremony lauding his work in research and teaching. Rienstra’s research into producing high-resolution structures of protein structures through nuclear magnetic resonance technology has driven progress in medicine, especially in brain diseases associated with aging.
- At the fall meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston, Professor John A. Katzenellenbogen was inducted into the Medicinal Chemistry Hall of Fame.
- Prof. Renske van der Veen is the recipient of a Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering for 2018.
- The LAS Dean's Quadrangle Award was inaugurated in 2000 to honor people who have demonstrated profound support for the college’s diverse mission and who have personified
- Professor Rodríguez-López, analytical and materials chemistry, was listed in the most recent SN 10. The SN 10 is a list of the top 10 scientists to watch put out by Science News (Magazine of the Society for Science & the Public).
- Women Chemists Committee and Younger Chemists Committee receive awards from American Chemical SocietyCongratulations to the WCC and YCC! The East Central Illinois (ECI) chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS) received the following from the ACS:
- Professor Prashant Jain was admitted by the Council to the Royal Society of Chemistry as a Fellow. RSC fellowships are the highest level of membership one can attain with the RSC.
- Professor M. Christina White is the 2019 winner of the ACS Award for Creative Work in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, one of the American Chemical Society’s highest National Awards. Prof. White joins a very impressive list of previous awardees, including Illinois faculty Nelson Leonard and Scott Denmark, and Nobelists such as R.B. Woodward and K. Barry Sharpless, who represent the most prominent researchers in organic synthesis since 1957. Prof. White is also the first woman to join this rarefied club of award winners.
- Zan Luthey-Schulten is one of this years' 29 National Science Foundation "Understand the Rules of Life" award winnersThe National Science Foundation (NSF) announced the winners of their "Understanding the Rules of Life" awards. These awards fall under two different categories; Early-concept Grants for Exploratory Research (EAGER), and Research Advanced by Interdisciplinary Science and Engineering (RAISE). Professor Zaida (Zan) Luthey-Schulten received the (RAISE) - Balancing demands of minimal cell award for her research.