Professor Martin D. Burke is a recipient of the 2019 Mukaiyama Award from the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
Awards and Honors
- Professor Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, has received the 2019 Ryoji Noyori Prize, sponsored by Takasago International Corporation and administered by the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.
- Elizabeth Murphy, undergraduate in the Braun Research Group, is one of three winners in the research image contest at the Beckman Institute.
- The Materials Research Society has announced that Professor Catherine Murphy is one of this years' MRS Medal winnersProfessor Catherine Murphy, along with Dr. Haimei Zheng, Lawrence Berkely National Laboratory, are this years' joint MRS Medal winners.
- The Pauling Medal Award recognizes outstanding achievement in chemistry and is presented annually by the Portland, Puget Sound, and Oregon Sections of the American Chemical Society.
- Lucas Hernandez, a fifth-year graduate student in the David Sarlah group, received the 2019 Alfred R. Bader Award for Student Innovation.
- Lauren Hagler, a beginning fifth-year graduate student in Steve Zimmerman’s group, is the recipient of the first annual Women in Chemistry (WIC) Inclusive Leadership Award.
- Illinois Chemistry alumnus St. Elmo Brady (Ph.D., ’16) was the first African American to obtain a PhD in chemistry in the United States.
- The American Chemical Society (ACS) has announced their 2020 national award winners. Three award winners, Professor Catherine Murphy, Professor Jeffrey Moore and Professor Ken Suslick are among the winners. They will be honored at an awards ceremony on March 24, 2020 in Philadelphia, which coincides with the ACS Spring National Meeting.
- Professor Martin Burke will receive the 2019 iCON Innovator Award at the iCON Award Dinner on September 26, 2019. This award recognizes those scientists who demonstrate leadership potential at the frontier of knowledge in the life sciences and conduct research that is anticipated to enhance economic development in the State of Illinois.
- The teaching labs in Chemistry Annex and Noyes Lab both received the Environmental Impact Achievement Award from the University of Illinois.
- Peixin He (PhD, '85, Faulkner) and his wife, Xiaoming Chen, made a donation to endow the Larry R. Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry. Peixin He studied and worked with Faulkner and authored seven journal articles in electrochemistry with him. Meanwhile, Xiaoming Chen also worked under Faulkner as a visiting research scientist.
- Professor Sweedler will receive the award in December 2019 at the 49th Internationl Symposium on High Performance Liquid Phase Separations and Related Techniques (HPLC) in Kyoto, Japan. He receives the award for his contributions to separation science and technology, with particular consideration given to developments of new methods and techniques.
- Professor M. Christina White has been named the William H. and Janet G. Lycan Professor in the School of Chemical Sciences.