Professor Jeffrey Moore is the Royal Society of Chemistry Stephanie L. Kwolek Award winner for 2018.
Awards and Honors
- Scott E. Denmark, a professor of chemistry at the University of Illinois, has been elected to the National Academy of Sciences, one of the highest professional honors a scientist can receive.
- Illinois Chemistry sophomore Alayna Johnson has been named a Goldwater Scholar for the 2018-19 academic year.
- Prof. Greg Girolami, the William H. and Janet G. Lycan Professor of Chemistry, has received a Campus Award for Excellence in Graduate and Professional Teaching.
- AACR Award for Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry in Cancer Research goes to John KatzenellenbogenResearch Professor John A. Katzenellenbogen has received the AACR Award for Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry in Cancer Research.
- The American Institute of Chemists (AIC) Chemical Pioneer Award recognizes chemists and chemical engineers who have made outstanding contributions advancing the science of chemistry or impacting the chemical industry or the chemical profession.
- Thomas B. Rauchfuss can add another award to his long list of accolades.
- We are proud to announce that Renske van der Veen has received a National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award for her submitted proposal "Ultrafast Imaging and Spectroscopy of Cooperative Phenomena in Photomagnetic Nanomaterials."
- Stephen Elledge (BS, '78) received a 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences.
- Department head Martin Gruebele, the James R. Eiszner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, has received a 2018 TREE award from the Research Corporation for Science Advancement (RCSA).
- Paul J. Hergenrother wins the George & Christine Sosnovsky Award for Cancer Research.
- Two University of Illinois faculty members with ties to the Department of Chemistry were named to the 2017 Power List, the “Magnificent Tens” published by The Analytical Scientist magazine.
- Professor Catherine Murphy is honored for long-standing commitment to the University of Illinois and the Department of Chemistry.
- Michael Sofia (PhD, '84 chemistry, Katzenellenbogen) has received a 2017 College of LAS Alumni Achievement Award for discovering the cure to Hepatitis C. He will be honored this weekend during the University of Illinois homecoming festivities.
- Professor Andrew Gewirth is honored for long-standing commitment to the University of Illinois and the Department of Chemistry.