Megan Kats, chemistry undergraduate, was awarded Cabot Microelectronic's Global Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Excellence Award.
Awards and Honors
- Atul K. Verma (PhD, ’96, Rauchfuss) was recognized at the Fall 2019 ACS National Meeting in San Diego with the ACS Heroes of Chemistry Award.
- Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, was recently named the 2020 recipient of the Paracelsus Prize by the Swiss Chemical Society.
- Eight faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2019 Highly Cited Researchers list, a global listing of scientists who produced the past decade’s most influential papers, compiled by the Web of Science group, a Clarivate Analytics company.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science has announced Professor Paul Hergenrother as a 2019 FellowProfessor Paul J. Hergenrother, Kenneth L. Rinehart Jr. Endowed Chair in Natural Products Chemistry, is one of 443 newly elected Fellows into the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Jeffrey Moore has been named the Stanley O. Ikenberry Endowed Chair, which is deemed to be among the most distinguished honors on campus.
- Alison Fout is one of fourteen University of Illinois faculty selected as a 2019-20 Building Pathways Fellow by the Office of the Provost.
- Robert J. Jones, Chancellor, recently announced that chemistry affiliate faculty member, Susan A. Martinis, has agreed to become the vice chancellor for research and innovation.
- The Women Chemists Committee (WCC) and Younger Chemists Committee of East Central Illinois Chapter (YCC) were each recognized at the American Chemical Society’s fall 2019 national meeting with ChemLuminary Awards, which are given to recognize local sections, regional meetings, divisions, and international chapters.
- Alumnus H. N. Cheng (PhD, ’74, Gutowsky) has been elected the 2020 American Chemical Society (ACS) President-Elect.
- Dr. Daniel Dumett Torres of Professor Prashant Jain’s laboratory is the winner of the 2019 Physical Chemistry Dissertation Award, given to the best Ph.D. thesis in the area of physical chemistry each year in the Department of Chemistry.
- Professor Jonathan Sweedler, James R. Eiszner Family Endowed Chair in Chemistry and director of the School of Chemical Sciences, has the top spot on the Analytical Scientist’s 2019 Power List, which highlights the tremendous range of talent, ingenuity and leadership present across all corners of analytical science on a global scale.
- Professor Martin D. Burke is a recipient of the 2019 Mukaiyama Award from the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- Professor Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, has received the 2019 Ryoji Noyori Prize, sponsored by Takasago International Corporation and administered by the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.