Elizabeth P. Rogers, a former Department of Chemistry faculty member who retired in 1988 after 25 years of teaching general chemistry courses, has died at the age of 100.
- Iris Stovall, double Illinois alumna and longtime Department of Chemistry academic staff member, passed away on September 19, 2019.
- We regret to pass along the sad news that alumnus Dr. William Gumprecht (BS, ’53) passed away on May 3, 2019 in Wilmington, Delaware.
- We are saddened to share the news that alumnus Alan Branfman (PhD, ’73, Rinehart) passed away on February 5, 2019.
- I have to pass on some sad news to the department: I just learned that our long-time colleague Andrzej Wieckowski passed away yesterday.
- We are saddened to share that Dr. James R. Beck (PhD, ’61, Rinehart), alumnus and longtime supporter of the University of Illinois, passed away on January 16, 2019. Dr. Beck was born in Paris, Illinois on August 17, 1931. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1957 before coming to Illinois where he studied under Prof. Kenneth L. Rinehart, completing his PhD studies in 1961.
- We are saddened to share that Rebecca (Becky) J. Simon, long-time director of the School of Chemical Sciences Placement Center and friend to all who she encountered, passed away on October 15, 2018.
- From Jonathan Sweedler, Director, School of Chemical Sciences: I am sad to report that our friend and colleague, Yi-Gui Gao, passed away on Friday, March 30, 2018.
- It is with great sadness that we must report the passing of our emeritus colleague William H. 'Bill' Pirkle, an extraordinarily humble and gifted chemist who made a difference not just in his field of chiral separation, but as a mentor and all-around, avuncular, quirky chemist.
- We are deeply saddened to share that alumnus and long-time Illinois Chemistry supporter Robert C. Springborn (BS, ’51) passed away on Sunday, January 21, 2018 in Naples, Florida.