With a research team of exclusively undergraduate students, Illinois chemistry alumnus Jay Wackerly, (PhD, ’08, Moore), an associate professor of chemistry at Central College in Iowa, has created and named a new molecule, ‘cambiarene,’ demonstrating its ability to grab on to specifically-targeted small molecules.
- The Vice President of Research, Development and Engineering at Nalco Water, an Ecolab Company, recently visited the Department of Chemistry for the Alumni in Industry lecture and discussed how his company helps its customers conserve vital resources, like water, and explained the critical role chemistry plays in finding solutions.
- As an undergraduate in chemistry at the University of Illinois, Dr. Jeanne Hankett (BS, ’10, chemistry) found her drive for analytical chemistry working in the lab of Professor Andy Gewirth, doing investigative work on oxygen reduction reaction electrocatalysis in relation to fuel cell development.
- Atul K. Verma (PhD, ’96, Rauchfuss) was recognized at the Fall 2019 ACS National Meeting in San Diego with the ACS Heroes of Chemistry Award.
- Alumnus H. N. Cheng (PhD, ’74, Gutowsky) has been elected the 2020 American Chemical Society (ACS) President-Elect.
- The year 1980 was a turning point for LAS alum Peixin He (PhD ’85, chemistry).
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.
- Alumnus H. N. Cheng (Ph.D., ’74, Gutowsky) is a candidate for the 2020 American Chemical Society President-Elect.
- Illinois Chemistry alumnus St. Elmo Brady (Ph.D., ’16) was the first African American to obtain a PhD in chemistry in the United States.
- Peixin He (PhD, '85, Faulkner) and his wife, Xiaoming Chen, made a donation to endow the Larry R. Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry. Peixin He studied and worked with Faulkner and authored seven journal articles in electrochemistry with him. Meanwhile, Xiaoming Chen also worked under Faulkner as a visiting research scientist.
- We regret to pass along the sad news that alumnus Dr. William Gumprecht (BS, ’53) passed away on May 3, 2019 in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Off the beaten path: chemistry alumna’s recent journalism awards show the rewards of a nontraditional careerIllinois alumna Christine Herman (PhD, '12, chemistry; MS, ’14, journalism) was recently recognized with two first-place awards from the Illinois Associated Press Broadcasters Association. Her story “Out of Options, Parents Trade Custody for Treatment” won Best Hard News Feature, and “Continuing Mental Health Coverage” won Best Series or Documentary.
- Professor Catherine J. Murphy, Larry Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, and Chancellor Robert Jones have been elected fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.