We regret to pass along the sad news that alumnus Dr. William Gumprecht (BS, ’53) passed away on May 3, 2019 in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Off the beaten path: chemistry alumna’s recent journalism awards show the rewards of a nontraditional careerIllinois alumna Christine Herman (PhD, '12, chemistry; MS, ’14, journalism) was recently recognized with two first-place awards from the Illinois Associated Press Broadcasters Association. Her story “Out of Options, Parents Trade Custody for Treatment” won Best Hard News Feature, and “Continuing Mental Health Coverage” won Best Series or Documentary.
- Professor Catherine J. Murphy, Larry Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, and Chancellor Robert Jones have been elected fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- William Nebergall (MS, '39) is one of 2019 National Inventors Hall of Fame inductees. He achieved this award with his development of stannous fluoride toothpaste (US Patent No. 2,876,166).
- We are saddened to share the news that alumnus Alan Branfman (PhD, ’73, Rinehart) passed away on February 5, 2019.
- We are saddened to share that Dr. James R. Beck (PhD, ’61, Rinehart), alumnus and longtime supporter of the University of Illinois, passed away on January 16, 2019. Dr. Beck was born in Paris, Illinois on August 17, 1931. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1957 before coming to Illinois where he studied under Prof. Kenneth L. Rinehart, completing his PhD studies in 1961.
- Chemistry alumnus traces his success to influential professor at Illinois. This fall, Martin Pomper gathered with others from across the world to be officially inducted the National Academy of Medicine, one of the highest honors in medicine for professional achievement and commitment to service.
- Peter Senter (PhD, ’81) part of Seattle Genetics team recognized with an ACS Heroes of Chemistry AwardPeter D.
- The LAS Dean's Quadrangle Award was inaugurated in 2000 to honor people who have demonstrated profound support for the college’s diverse mission and who have personified
- Oxford UP publishes print version of ACS Symposium Series, co-edited by alumnus Jim Hageman (BS, ’64)Oxford University Press has published a print copy of the ACS Symposium Series 1231: The Power and Promise of Early Research, edited by Desmond H.
- Professor Cathy Murphy and alumna Sara Skrabalak (PhD, '07, Suslick) are featured on the ACS website celebrating women in nanotechnology.
- What does it take to have a positive impact on the human experience? It requires bold ideas and the freedom to pursue innovative solutions.
- UI's distinguished faculty hiring program nets the Department of Chemistry its newest affiliate faculty memberDr. Qing Cao (Phd, '09, Rogers) joins the faculty of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as part of the UI’s distinguished faculty hiring program.