Alumnus H. N. Cheng (PhD, ’74, Gutowsky) has been elected the 2020 American Chemical Society (ACS) President-Elect.
- The year 1980 was a turning point for LAS alum Peixin He (PhD ’85, chemistry).
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.
- Alumnus H. N. Cheng (Ph.D., ’74, Gutowsky) is a candidate for the 2020 American Chemical Society President-Elect.
- Illinois Chemistry alumnus St. Elmo Brady (Ph.D., ’16) was the first African American to obtain a PhD in chemistry in the United States.
- Peixin He (PhD, '85, Faulkner) and his wife, Xiaoming Chen, made a donation to endow the Larry R. Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry. Peixin He studied and worked with Faulkner and authored seven journal articles in electrochemistry with him. Meanwhile, Xiaoming Chen also worked under Faulkner as a visiting research scientist.
- We regret to pass along the sad news that alumnus Dr. William Gumprecht (BS, ’53) passed away on May 3, 2019 in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Off the beaten path: chemistry alumna’s recent journalism awards show the rewards of a nontraditional careerIllinois alumna Christine Herman (PhD, '12, chemistry; MS, ’14, journalism) was recently recognized with two first-place awards from the Illinois Associated Press Broadcasters Association. Her story “Out of Options, Parents Trade Custody for Treatment” won Best Hard News Feature, and “Continuing Mental Health Coverage” won Best Series or Documentary.
- Professor Catherine J. Murphy, Larry Faulkner Endowed Chair in Chemistry, and Chancellor Robert Jones have been elected fellows of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- The Illini Success initiative, a campus-wide effort to gather career-related information about recently graduated bachelor’s degree recipients, studies alumni within six months of graduation.
- William Nebergall (MS, '39) is one of 2019 National Inventors Hall of Fame inductees. He achieved this award with his development of stannous fluoride toothpaste (US Patent No. 2,876,166).
- We are saddened to share the news that alumnus Alan Branfman (PhD, ’73, Rinehart) passed away on February 5, 2019.
- We are saddened to share that Dr. James R. Beck (PhD, ’61, Rinehart), alumnus and longtime supporter of the University of Illinois, passed away on January 16, 2019. Dr. Beck was born in Paris, Illinois on August 17, 1931. He received his bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley in 1957 before coming to Illinois where he studied under Prof. Kenneth L. Rinehart, completing his PhD studies in 1961.