Chemistry professor M. Christina White and graduate student Jinpeng Zhao developed a new catalyst that has the potential to advance the pace and efficiency of drug development.
- Three chemists rank among the world's most influential on the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers ListNine faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2018 Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researchers list.
- An interdisciplinary team of researchers from the Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering,
- The gold nanocrystals created by Catherine Murphy carry huge potential The gold nanoparticles created by Catherine Murphy, the Larry R.
- Professor Chad Rienstra, who came to Illinois in 2002, was recently named the John Witt Professor of Chemistry in a ceremony lauding his work in research and teaching. Rienstra’s research into producing high-resolution structures of protein structures through nuclear magnetic resonance technology has driven progress in medicine, especially in brain diseases associated with aging.
- Theodore “Ted” Brown, the founding director of the Beckman Institute at the University of Illinois, celebrated his 90th birthday with family, friends and fo
- At the fall meeting of the American Chemical Society in Boston, Professor John A. Katzenellenbogen was inducted into the Medicinal Chemistry Hall of Fame.
- Prof. Renske van der Veen is the recipient of a Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering for 2018.
- Professor Rodríguez-López, analytical and materials chemistry, was listed in the most recent SN 10. The SN 10 is a list of the top 10 scientists to watch put out by Science News (Magazine of the Society for Science & the Public).
- Professor Prashant Jain was admitted by the Council to the Royal Society of Chemistry as a Fellow. RSC fellowships are the highest level of membership one can attain with the RSC.
- Professor M. Christina White is the 2019 winner of the ACS Award for Creative Work in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, one of the American Chemical Society’s highest National Awards. Prof. White joins a very impressive list of previous awardees, including Illinois faculty Nelson Leonard and Scott Denmark, and Nobelists such as R.B. Woodward and K. Barry Sharpless, who represent the most prominent researchers in organic synthesis since 1957. Prof. White is also the first woman to join this rarefied club of award winners.
- Wilfred van der Donk is one of a collaborative group of chemists whose research has led to an exciting molecular breakthroughA new study, published in Nature Communications, is from research by Wilfred van der Donk and a group of chemists from the University of Illinois and Harvard University.
- Professor Lisa Olshansky joined the Department of Chemistry this Fall, 2018. She is a faculty member in the Inorganic chemistry area.
- Yi Lu and Evan Mirts have designed a new synthetic enzyme that reduces the compound sulfite to sulfideChemistry professor Yi Lu, left, and graduate student Evan Mirts have designed a new synthetic enzyme that reduces the compound sulfite to sulfide – a notoriously complex multistep chemical reaction that has eluded chemists for years.