Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, was recently named the 2020 recipient of the Paracelsus Prize by the Swiss Chemical Society.
- Professor Thomas Rauchfuss and collaborators are looking to biological processes to find an efficient source of hydrogen gas as an environmentally friendly fuelResearch from the University of Illinois and the University of California, Davis has chemists one step closer to recreating nature’s most efficient machinery for generating hydrogen gas. This new development may help clear the path for the hydrogen fuel industry to move into a larger role in the global push toward more environmentally friendly energy sources.
- Eight faculty members at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have been named to the 2019 Highly Cited Resear
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science has announced Professor Paul Hergenrother as a 2019 FellowProfessor Paul J. Hergenrother, Kenneth L. Rinehart Jr. Endowed Chair in Natural Products Chemistry, is one of 443 newly elected Fellows into the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Faculty members part of research looking into the link between migraines and the opioids used to treat themTo alleviate migraine pain, people are commonly treated with opioids. But, while opioid treatment can provide temporary pain relief for episodic migraines, prolonged use can increase the frequency and severity of painful migraines.
- Jeffrey Moore has been named the Stanley O. Ikenberry Endowed Chair, which is deemed to be among the most distinguished honors on campus.
- Affiliate Faculty member Qian Chen part of collaborative research into higher resolution viewing of crystallizationResearchers from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Northwestern University have made it possible to observe and simulate the self-assembly of crystalline materials at a much higher resolution than before.
- Scientists have simulated every atom of a light-harvesting structure in a photosynthetic bacterium that generates energy for the organism.
- Alison Fout is one of fourteen University of Illinois faculty selected as a 2019-20 Building Pathways Fellow by the Office of the Provost.
- Robert J. Jones, Chancellor, recently announced that chemistry affiliate faculty member, Susan A. Martinis, has agreed to become the vice chancellor for research and innovation.
- Professor Jonathan Sweedler, James R. Eiszner Family Endowed Chair in Chemistry and director of the School of Chemical Sciences, has the top spot on the Analytical Scientist’s 2019 Power List, which highlights the tremendous range of talent, ingenuity and leadership present across all corners of analytical science on a global scale.
- Professor Martin D. Burke is a recipient of the 2019 Mukaiyama Award from the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- Professor Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, has received the 2019 Ryoji Noyori Prize, sponsored by Takasago International Corporation and administered by the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.
- A few months ago, a new term cropped up on Twitter to describe an all-too-common phenomenon at academic institutions: a dude wall.