Professor Martin D. Burke is a recipient of the 2019 Mukaiyama Award from the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- Professor Scott Denmark, the Reynold C. Fuson Professor of Chemistry, has received the 2019 Ryoji Noyori Prize, sponsored by Takasago International Corporation and administered by the Society of Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Japan.
- The Illinois Alumni Association will present their 2019 awards at a private gala during Homecoming Week, October 13-19, 2019.
- A few months ago, a new term cropped up on Twitter to describe an all-too-common phenomenon at academic institutions: a dude wall.
- Professor Josh Vura-Weis was recently selected as the winner of the 2019 Inter-American Photochemical Society (I-APS) Young Investigator Award, sponsored by the Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology, which is published by Elsevier.
- Iris Stovall, double Illinois alumna and longtime Department of Chemistry academic staff member, passed away on September 19, 2019.
- The Materials Research Society has announced that Professor Catherine Murphy is one of this years' MRS Medal winnersProfessor Catherine Murphy, along with Dr. Haimei Zheng, Lawrence Berkely National Laboratory, are this years' joint MRS Medal winners.
- The Pauling Medal Award recognizes outstanding achievement in chemistry and is presented annually by the Portland, Puget Sound, and Oregon Sections of the American Chemical Society.
- Grant renewal allows the continuation of Professor Jonathan Sweedler's research into the understanding of the science of drug abuseWith the goal of advancing the understanding of the neurochemistry of addiction, the Neuroproteomics and Neurometabolomics Center on Cell-Cell Signaling at the University of Illinois, has had its funding renewed by the National Institute on Drug Abuse with a $6 million grant.
- The Discovery Fund, established in 2018 and supported by a generous gift from chemistry alumni Ving Lee (Ph.D., ‘75, Rinehart) and May Lee (Ph.D., ‘76, Rinehart), provides funding for innovative research in the Department of Chemistry.
- Professor Greg Girolami and Dr. Vera Mainz organized a symposium celebrating the 150th anniversary of the periodic table, held last week in conjunction with the American Chemical Society’s national meeting in San Diego.
- Steven Zimmerman, graduate student Ephraim Morado, and their colleagues are attempting to create a more environmentally-friendly form of polyurethane, a frequently-used polymer that is difficult to recycle.
- The American Chemical Society (ACS) has announced their 2020 national award winners. Three award winners, Professor Catherine Murphy, Professor Jeffrey Moore and Professor Ken Suslick are among the winners. They will be honored at an awards ceremony on March 24, 2020 in Philadelphia, which coincides with the ACS Spring National Meeting.
- Professor Jonathan Sweedler is part of research seeking to identify the molecular pathways underlying opioid-induced hyperalgesiaA collaboration between the Sweedler and the Rodriguez-Zas labs at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and the Pradhan lab at the University of Illinois at Chicago has identified genes that are involved in opioid-induced hyperalgesia, an abnormally increased sensitivity to pain.
- The Pan Research Group has recently developed a probe made of nanoparticles by crosslinking biliverdin molecules, which are pigments that exist naturally in the body.