A new study, published in Nature Communications, is from a study by Wilfred van der Donk and a group of chemists from the University of Illinois and Harvard University.
- Wilfred van der Donk is one of collaborative group of chemists whose research has led to an exciting molecular breakthrough
- Professor Lisa Olshansky joined the Department of Chemistry this Fall, 2018. She is a faculty member in the Inorganic chemistry area.
- Yi Lu and Evan Mirts have designed a new synthetic enzyme that reduces the compound sulfite to sulfideChemistry professor Yi Lu, left, and graduate student Evan Mirts have designed a new synthetic enzyme that reduces the compound sulfite to sulfide – a notoriously complex multistep chemical reaction that has eluded chemists for years.
- Zaida “Zan” Luthey-Schulten is an international leader in computational biophysics and bioinformatics. She has been selected as a Fellow of the Biophysical Society in 2019.
- Lydia Kisley explains results of research examining interaction between poly(zwitterions) and proteinsAs medicine becomes more precise in delivering treatment targeted to specific areas of the body, the drug used is just one critical part of the treatment. How can chemotherapy drugs directly impact a tumor in order to destroy it without damaging other areas of the body? Scientists and physicians have to consider the material that carries the drug to its target and the effects of that material on our physiology.
- Jeff Moore and Joaquin Rodriguez are part of a team that recently were recipients of the Secrtary of Energy's Achievement Award.
- Martin Burke is the co-founder of Ambys Medicines, which has licensed technology developed in his lab
- Professor Cathy Murphy and alumna Sara Skrabalak (PhD, '07, Suslick) are featured on the ACS website celebrating women in nanotechnology.
- What does it take to have a positive impact on the human experience? It requires bold ideas and the freedom to pursue innovative solutions.
- UI's distinguished faculty hiring program nets the Department of Chemistry its newest affiliate faculty memberDr. Qing Cao (Phd, '09, Rogers) joins the faculty of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as part of the UI’s distinguished faculty hiring program.
- Chemistry professor Jefferson Chan, graduate students Chelsea Anorma and Thomas Bearrood, and postdoctoral researcher Jamila Hedhli, developed a molecular probe that can tag and track elusive cancer stem cells in both cell cultures and mice.
- The Beckman Institute has been publishing a video series called "Future Environments" (#scifutures).
- With approval from the Board of Trustees, Prof. Liviu Mirica will join the Illinois Chemistry faculty in January 2019 as the William H. and Janet G.
- Professor Jonathan Sweedler, James R. Eiszner Family Endowed Chair in Chemistry, was awarded the Torben Bergman Medal in Lund, Sweden in June, 2018. He received this award for his research in analytical chemistry and neuroscience.
- The 2018 School of Chemical Sciences (SCS) Teaching Awards recipients have been announced. This year’s recipients represent just a few of the large number of highly dedicated instructors in SCS.